History

The development of the St.-Antonius-Hospital into a modern healthcare centre over the past 40 years has also particularly been associated with the development of the Clinic for Urology into a centre of modern urology. The beginnings of this development can be traced back to 1963, when the newly founded Urological Inpatient Department moved into the hospital under the leadership of Professor Ludwig Steffens. Just four years later, high demand from patients led to it becoming a main department with a large number of beds (87). Continuing under Professor Steffens’ leadership, this was a significant step towards the further development of the Urology Department and the hospital as a whole.

In 1972, a urological wing was commissioned to meet the need for additional patient accommodation and to handle the rapid developments in diagnostics and treatment in this discipline. This wing now still provides the perfect base for our modern Urology Department with four dedicated operating theatres, X-ray units, a urodynamic measuring unit, a special laboratory and diagnosis rooms.

Professor Ludwig Steffens retired at the end of 1995 and was succeeded by Professor Joachim Steffens, who has maintained the tradition of constant innovation in order to always offer patients the best possible treatment.

This includes the acquisition of a stationary lithotriptor for shock wave treatment of urinary calculi in 1996, the expansion of laparoscopic surgical techniques and the acquisition of a high-performance LASER system.

Search site:
St.-Antonius-Hospital

Academic teaching hospital of the RWTH technical university, Aachen

Clinic for Urology and Paediatric Urology

Dechant-Deckers-Str. 8
52249 Eschweiler

+49 2403 - 76-1861

 
St.-Antonius-Hospital Eschweiler
Dechant-Deckers-Str. 8
52249 Eschweiler
tel.: 02403 76 - 0
fax: 02403 76 -1119